Singapore Chinese Girls’ School opens on Hill Street, with seven Straits Chinese girls. It is funded by a small group of English-educated Straits Chinese men who believe girls should be educated.
Australian missionary Sophia Blackmore establishes the Tamil Girls’ School in Short Street. As the school grows, it is renamed Methodist Girls’ School and in 1925 it moves to Mount Sophia.
Raffles Institution finds that the demand for girls to be schooled keeps growing. In 1879 Raffles Girls’ School is set up as a separate institution.
The Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus opens in Victoria Street. Reverend Mother St Mathilde Raclot, founder of the school, soon also starts an orphanage and a home for abandoned babies.
Construction of Hajjah Fatimah Mosque is completed. It is named after Hajjah Fatimah binte Sulaiman who provided the land and funds for the mosque and some homes around it for the poor.
The all-male Raffles Institution starts a section for girls with five day-students and six boarders.